Selling a property out of a deceased estate, it can be done

Car Registered In The Name Of A Deceased?

Many people face the problem of a motor vehicle registered in the name of a deceased person. The motor vehicle may have belonged to your parent, spouse or sibling that has passed away. The car becomes unusable until registered in the new owner’s name. You may have realised that you can’t renew the car license until the deceased estate is dealt with. Sorting out the car loan is also a problem if you don’t know the process.

A simple matter of transferring ownership of your deceased loved one’s motor vehicle requires you to obtain Letters of Executorship from the Master. The same applies to any other estate asset such as bank accounts or policies – if a signature is required, an Executor must be appointed by the Master. Once you have Letters of Executorship you can go to the licensing department to renew the license or transfer ownership.

The Executor is the person authorised by the Master who can do things on behalf of the deceased person, such as close bank accounts and transfer the motor vehicles of the deceased. The Executor is usually a responsible family member such as an adult child or surviving spouse of the deceased. The deceased estate will have to be reported to the Master for the Executor to be appointed.

We can assist you with obtaining Letters of Executorship from the Master to deal with your deceased loved one’s motor vehicle. Our rates are affordable. We have a convenient online approach to administering a deceased estate. We are available to meet if necessary, but most people prefer to use our Online Consultation and communicate with us via email or WhatsApp.

Author: Wafiq Davids (B SocSci, LL.B.)
Attorney, Notary, Conveyancer and Legal Consultant at Siyatec Executors

Send us your query